According to a study on alcohol addiction over the past decade, from 2003 until today, prescriptions for the addiction to alcohol have soared by as much as 70 percent.
According to the Daily Mail in the UK, in 2012 alone physicians prescribed nearly 3 million in prescription medications used for the treatment of alcohol addiction, including Antabuse. Antabuse is a medication that causes sickness in people who attempt to consume alcoholic beverages.
- This is up from 1.72 million back in 2003. The number of medications prescribed by doctors to help alcoholics overcome their addiction or to prevent them from falling into relapse rose sharply from 102,741 back in 2003 to a mind blowing 178,247 last year in 2012.
- The number of admissions to the hospital relating to drinking and alcohol abuse is also on the rise. According to data provided by England’s Social Care Information Center, these numbers are rising sharply.
- Last year alone had 200,900 admissions in England relating solely to drinking, which is a 1 percent rise over 2011, which had 198,900, and a 41 percent rise over figures for 2002 and 2003, which were around 142,000.
- Two thirds of all patients who require hospital treatment due to alcohol abuse or alcoholism are men.
- A total of 1,220,300 hospital admissions in England had something to do with drinking, either wholly or partly, and this is twice the figures from 2002-2003, which involved a total of 510,700 admissions. Approximately two thirds of all of those who had to stay for treatment were men.
- From the Royal College of Physicians, an adviser on alcohol named Dr. Nick Sheron stresses that it is important to have access to medications that can help you overcome your alcohol dependence. People who are struggling with alcoholism need to have treatment options available to them. However, it is important to note that this rise in the use of prescription medications for alcohol dependency is an indicator that alcohol abuse is putting a really big strain on the world’s society.
- A spokesman with the Department of Health stated that it is definitely encouraging to notice that more and more people are seeking help for their alcoholism problem. The fact that people are getting help in increasing numbers is a good indicator that the right help is out there and people are beginning to use it, but these figures are also showing that alcohol is causing serious health issues for potentially millions of people worldwide, and action must continually be taken.
- This is a problem that the entire nation is facing. In England, the numbers are indicating that many people are getting prescription help for their alcoholism, but in other parts of the world, this type of help is not being made readily available. In nations that have solid healthcare platforms and readily available medications such as the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom, these figures show that people are able to get the help that they need for alcoholism recovery. In other nations throughout the world, seeking this type of help is not always possible.
Prescription medications are just one of the options available for people struggling with substance abuse issues such as alcoholism. The right help is out there if you are struggling with alcoholism and looking to overcome the problem once and for all. Phone a local rehabilitation center in your area to find out what your options are. Pick up the phone today and start looking for the right treatment solution for your struggle with alcohol. What do you stand to lose?