Psychedelic Mushrooms Abuse and Treatment Information

Psychedelic mushrooms are a type of dangerous hallucinogenic drug that is not classified for medicinal use.

When people abuse psychedelic mushrooms, they put themselves at serious risk of deadly consequences.

If you have been abusing drugs and need help, call 800-807-0951 now to find the safest, most effective rehab program for your needs.

Understanding Mushrooms

Drug mushrooms contain a psychedelic chemical known as psilocybin that causes the hallucinogenic effects users want to experience. According to the National Drug Intelligence Center, “These mushrooms typically contain 0.2 to 0.4 percent psilocybin and a trace amount of psilocin, another hallucinogenic substance.”

Even though the effects of these drugs are exciting and often desirable, a person puts themselves at huge risk when they abuse psychedelic mushrooms.

According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, some individuals abuse psychedelic mushrooms as part of a religious ceremony in order to induce hallucinations in the hopes of having a spiritual experience. However, those who use these drugs can never predict exactly what the effects will be, even if they have used them many times before. Though psychedelic mushrooms and psilocybin itself are both considered nonaddictive, this drug can cause many severe side effects for those who abuse it.

Mushroom Definitions

Signs and Symptoms of Mushrooms Use

Hallucinogens often affect the body by causing hallucinations, delirium, and intensification of the senses. Feelings of relaxation are also common, which are “similar to [the] effects of low doses of marijuana” (NIDA). Other common signs and symptoms of mushroom use include:

  • Paranoia
  • Diarrhea
  • Dizziness
  • Nervousness
  • Introspection
  • Abdominal Cramps
  • Impaired Judgment
  • Nausea and Vomiting
  • Increased Heart Rate
  • Yawning and Drowsiness
  • Increased Blood Pressure
  • Increased Body Temperature
  • Tension in the Mind and Boy
  • Sense of Detachment from the Body
  • Melding of Past Experiences with Present Ones
  • An Inability to Distinguish Fantasy from Reality

It is always difficult to be certain exactly how these mushrooms will affect a user, as different effects are likely to occur every time. Sometimes, it can be a pleasant or exciting experience while others, it can be very unpleasant or even dangerous.

Risks of Mushrooms Abuse

A bad trip is an intense risk of mushroom abuse, as it could happen at any time and with no warning. According to the Center for Substance Abuse Research, a bad trip is a “highly adverse reaction” to the drug, which can cause:

  • Panic
  • Terror
  • Paranoia
  • Agitation
  • Confusion
  • Depression
  • Disorientation
  • Frightening Hallucinations

People are also more likely to commit dangerous acts during a bad trip, and this is often the cause of hallucinogen-related deaths.

A person might harm themselves or someone else out of fear or confusion. If an individual seems very agitated or inconsolable during a bad trip, it may be necessary to call 911 and to get them medical attention immediately.

Also, many varieties of poisonous mushrooms are often confused for psychedelic mushrooms. According to Brown University, “It is… difficult to determine what genus of mushroom you have and the dose of active hallucinogen each mushroom contains,” and as a result, many individuals wind up ingesting poisonous mushrooms. And because both cause nausea and vomiting, it may be difficult to tell which type you have ingested.

Psychedelic mushrooms are not considered addictive. They cause tolerance very quickly and do not seem to create any type of dependency syndrome. However, a person who uses them consistently is likely to experience severe effects and possibly even to exhibit symptoms of a mental disorder associated with hallucinogen abuse. Hallucinogen persisting perception disorder and persistent psychosis both require treatment and may be less rare than previous studies have suggested.


Mushrooms Addiction and Treatment

Treatment for psychedelic mushroom abuse often requires intensive therapy in order for patients to safely navigate their experiences and to uncover any severe consequences caused by their abuse. In addition, it is important to screen for any comorbid mental disorders that are being intensified by one’s mushroom abuse. Though these drugs are not addictive, treatment is often still necessary for those who have abused them.

Psychedelic mushrooms are dangerous and their effects can be severe. When a person misuses these drugs, they are putting themselves in great danger and may experience long-term effects that take months or years to subside. Call 800-807-0951 now to find a safe, reliable rehab program that will fit your current treatment needs.
2017-11-10T09:54:55+00:00 By |Illicit Drug Addiction, Illicit Drugs|Comments Off on Psychedelic Mushrooms Abuse and Treatment Information

About the Author:

Many times there is fear and anxiety involved when looking for good quality Treatment Programs, Rehabilitation Facilities or Counseling Centers that would best fit your needs in your area. It's extremely important not only to find the right treatment, but critical in finding qualified facilities that care and understand your needs. The road to a Successful Recovery can be a phone call away. We can provide that information for you.